why a farm stay?
Farm Stay vacations give you and your family the opportunity to experience, learn, participate and enjoy all that small rural farming life has to offer.
The concept of a "farm stay" is relatively new in the United States, although it is well known throughout much of Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Essentially a farm stay provides travelers with the opportunity to immerse themselves in the day to day operations, sights and sounds of a farm. Guest of Toddy Pond Farm enjoy accommodations in a thoughtfully restored cottage overlooking the farm to the east and Toddy Pond to the south. Nestled in the center of 500 private acres, the cottage comfortably sleeps 7 with two full bathrooms and full kitchen. Pastures and woodlands surround the cottage and often during the summer months flocks of our sheep and the small herd of our dairy cows can be seen grazing from the cottage screen porch.
While visiting Toddy Pond Farm, guests may:
- swim, kayak, canoe and relax on a private waterfront area of Toddy Pond
- walk several miles of trails through the private woods
- snowshoe or cross country ski on the farm trails
- spend the day fishing on Toddy Pond
- enjoy fresh farm made artisan dairy products ( yogurt, kefir and ice cream ) from our farm store
- enjoy pasture raised grass fed meats from our farm store
- enjoy fresh produce from our farm gardens
- BBQ on the back patio of the cottage
- pick wild blueberries and wild strawberries
- relax in the comfortable cottage overlooking pastures and Toddy Pond
- visit newly planted cranberry bogs and visit indigenous bogs on Little Toddy Pond via kayak
- see and hear all manners of wildlife - loons, deer, owls, songbirds, hawks, eagles, leaf peepers, etc.
- watch for shooting stars from the cottage front lawn
- connect with the land, the animals and the farmers here to gain an understanding and appreciation of where good food comes from
And for guests interested in learning more about the farm...
- ask farm related questions of your hosts Heide & Greg and their two sons Guthrie and Oliver
- visit the dairy barn to see and learn about the cows and morning milking
- visit the sheep and goats - come in the spring to see baby lambs!
- feed apples and acorns to the pigs
- gather fresh eggs from the chicken coop
- learn about our bees and basic beekeeping
- learn about value added dairy processing - yogurts, kefir, and cheeses
- learn about why grass fed meat and dairy are the best for you and the planet
- learn about rotational grazing and basic permaculture practices
We hope you and your family will consider a farm stay vacation at Toddy Pond Farm for your next Maine adventure.
the toddy pond farm cottage is listed on the sites below. Check out the listings, read the reviews, and get a sense if the cottage would be good for your vacation plans.
If you would prefer to reserve the cottage through us directly we can certainly arrange that for you - just send us an email from our contact page.
direct booking will eliminate some of the fees these services charge our guests that we are unable to control.
What some of our guests have to say...
"What an incredible few days we had at Toddy Pond Farm - our family of four began each day with fresh milk and yogurt from the farm store and leisurely time reading and playing games on the porch. Then each day held a different adventure - from walking through woods to the pond for kayaking, to a day at the beach, to a morning spent watching the milking of the cows and feeding of the animals. And each afternoon ended with a walk to the barn for ice cream sandwiches and arguments about which flavor was best (I was partial to the wild berry lavender ice cream on snicker doodle - my husband preferred the coffee on chocolate chip - but one couldn't go wrong). The house itself was immaculate and has clearly been updated with incredible care to preserve the historic feel of the cottage. We found ourselves plotting a return in the winter for some snow shoeing and time by the wood burning stove. And on the drive home from Maine we found ourselves discussing how much we enjoy knowing where our food comes from and understanding the hard work that goes into creating it. It could not have been more wonderful and we can't wait to go back."
- Northeast Traveler / Boston, MA
We stayed at Toddy Pond Farm in August when the weather in that part of Maine is fantastic but not too hot. We loved the short walk to the pond every morning for kayaking and discovering the small islands on the pond, one of which was perfect to dock the kayaks and go for a swim. The kids loved swimming during the day or walking around the farm, seeing the animals or just exploring. It was so peaceful and such a different experience from going to a more touristy area.
The kids also loved playing with Shep, the resident border collie, who is always up for a game of catch. And in the afternoons we would walk to the farm store and get some yogurt made from the farm or ice cream sandwiches. It's a pretty relaxing way to spend a week and by the end, the kids were asking more and more questions about how farms work and where food comes from, which is also great.
We did go into Belfast a bit and found some nice restaurants there, and went to Moose Point State Park and Sears island, all very short drives. We will absolutely come back next year, and may be more interested in day trips at that time. For this first visit, we were perfectly comfortable just hanging out on the porch and spending as much time as possible being active on the water. Everything we needed to relax and have fun was right on the farm. - Michelle S.
Look no further,,,,book your stay now!!!!
We spent four wonderful nights here. The cottage truly exceeded our expectations. Perfectly appointed with beautiful views ...our family of 4 (with children 14 & 12) made memories to last a lifetime!!! We enjoyed exploring many acres of Toddy Pond Farm, GREAT fishing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, seeing the wildlife, meeting all of the sweet farm animals...and we especially enjoyed the screened porch or the comfy corner couch nook relaxing, reading and taking in the picture perfect scenery of the pond.
We explored Belfast, Camden, Bar Harbor, Acadia, Cadillac Mtn., but our favorite memories are of Belfast and time spent at Toddy Pond Farm. Some farm highlights were joining the morning milking, enjoying fresh eggs, all of the animals & playing with the dogs!
Greg & Heide- we can not thank you enough for everything!!! You have something VERY special here and we feel lucky to have spent a little time at your cottage....4 nights was not quite enough! We look forward to when we can stay again!!
- The Reynolds Family / Elkton, MD